Who we are and what we do
Wren & Rook is a highly innovative, market-leading non-fiction imprint of the Hachette Children’s Group (HCG), one of the largest children’s publishers in the UK. Wren and Rook has an outstanding track record in creating bestselling and award-winning non-fiction books for children of all ages.
What you will be doing
An exciting and uniquely varied opportunity has arisen for a highly creative and organised senior designer to join the Wren and Rook team. The role will involve creating covers and interiors for non-fiction titles, working on concepts through to final layouts and preparing for print. Working effectively across departments and with agents, authors and artists.
- Designing books (covers and interiors) for non-fiction titles for children of all ages;
- Sourcing, commissioning and art-directing outstanding illustrators
- Managing the scheduling of titles into production, meeting budgets and deadlines;
- Working closely with the editors and Art Director in the development of new and existing titles, and taking books from concept through to print ready files
- Ensure all design work accurately fulfils the brief;
- Ensure administration, including scheduling, budgeting and file management, is up-to-date and accurate.
What we are looking for
The ideal candidate will have creative flair, an eye for detail and a demonstrable passion for designing outstanding non-fiction books. An awareness of the Children’s book market and wider cultural trends will be vital. The candidate will need to manage a busy workload, work well with our in-house team, as well as liaising with artists and agents. Design expertise is essential so this is not a role for a visualiser or illustrator without demonstrable design experience.
- Proficient skills in Adobe Creative Suite
- Proven design experience
- Impressive portfolio
- Great typographic and layout skills
- Strong conceptual thinking
- Highly organised
- Great multi-tasker
- Works well under pressure
What we offer
This is an exciting opportunity for a middleweight designer who is ready to take the next step up, or a senior designer looking for a new opportunities. The role is based in our London office on Victoria Embankment.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
Closing Date: 3rd March 2020
Salary: £28,000-£30,000 dependent on experience
To apply: please click here
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates.