Who we are and what we do
The Lifestyle and Yellow Kite division at Hodder is one of Britain’s leading publishers of cookery, lifestyle, health and self-help books and is part of the Hodder & Stoughton division of Hachette UK. We are the publishers of brand name authors, including Deliciously Ella, Eckhart Tolle, Gordon Ramsay and Gino d’Acampo, as well as wide range of other authors writing in this space.
What you’ll be doing
- Reporting to the Hodder Lifestyle Editorial Director and the Yellow Kite Senior Commissioning Editor, the successful candidate will oversee all the illustrated books, and a few mono titles, for both the Yellow Kite and Hodder lifestyle and cookery imprints.
- He or she will work closely with commissioning editors, production and design colleagues and be responsible for managing titles from acquisition to final files, as well as project editing their own books. Tasks will include:
* Select, brief and manage appropriate freelancers (e.g. copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers)
* Help coordinate photoshoots ensuring the freelance team are booked and briefed
* Plan projects proactively in liaison with other teams, adhering to deadlines
* Create and monitor budgets for each title ensuring costs are managed
* Run start-up and progress meetings for titles
* Monitor the schedule for each title to ensure there are no slips
*Write cover, AI, catalogue and general marketing copy as required
*Brief the art and production teams on new projects, preparing text design paperwork and/or additional styles for existing designs
*Prepare illustration briefs, check artwork and size images as required
*Flatplan illustrated books
*Prepare manuscripts for copyediting, legal reads (where necessary) and production
*Liaise with authors during proof stages and collate their corrections
*Prepare ebook conversion forms and check all ebook files, monitoring accuracy and quality
*Ensure titles are produced to Hodder’s highest standards and that house style is adhered to
*Clear copyright permissions and ensure copyright holders are acknowledged
*Compile and circulate the call sheet for photoshoots
*Attend meetings and undertake administrative tasks in relation to allocated projects
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who is experienced at project editing colour books. The successful candidate will be:
- Motivated, enthusiastic and with a ‘can-do’ attitude and an ability to anticipate problems and propose solutions
- Experienced at project management from manuscript through to publication
- Passionate about lifestyle, cookery, health, wellness, mind-body-spirit and conscious living
- Experienced at copyediting and proofreading with a meticulous eye for detail
- Able to multitask and work on multiple projects – illustrated and non-illustrated – simultaneously
- Confident with excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experienced in Word, Excel, Mac and Indesign.
- Knowledge of Biblio would be an advantage.
- Experienced in copyright and clearing permissions.
What we offer
Hodder & Stoughton is based at Hachette UK’s riverside headquarters in London and is home to a creative, committed and convivial team of talented colleagues, working together to publish great books we love. You will get the opportunity to be a key member of a small, friendly and collaborative editorial team in Hodder’s extremely successful Lifestyle department working on a wide variety of books and digital products. There will be on-the-job training in any systems and processes you are not familiar with.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
Closing date: 19th September 2019
Salary: from £26,000-£29,000
To apply: click here